Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Say what, Diane Sawyer?


I love Diane Sawyer.  Good Morning America is as much a part of my morning weekday routine as my multi-vitamin and regular paste Crest.  However, this morning she threw me a complete curveball.  There I was, barely awake, praying that it was Saturday.  Jay had turned on the television which confirmed my fear--it was a weekday.  I was so tired, I wasn't sure which day it was in that nano-second of time.  Tuesday.  Then the familiar GMA opening soundtrack filled the bedroom, the colorful orange and yellow title graphics flooded my room like spotlights and Diane dropped a bomb on me.

The recession is over.  

Just like that. 

While I am thrilled that this may in fact be the case, I am skeptical.  Honestly, I was skeptical that things were quite as horrific as the talking heads claimed from the beginning. Full disclosure encourages me to admit that I enjoy the view from my perch up here in the denial tree.  In reality, I know plenty of friends and former colleagues who lost their jobs, but many have already moved on to find better and brighter futures.   I know I can be cynical, but it seems like ever since "shark attack" hysteria a few years back, the media just jumps on a story and then beats it into the ground until another headline distracts their attention away.  I think they all have ADD, or as Jay likes to say, "AD...ooooh...shiny".  I present the following example to illustrate my point:  Recession -> Susan Boyle -> Swine Flu.  Recession over.  Susan Boyle got her eyebrows done so now nobody cares, and the Swine Flu has a new name which sounds like a Talking Heads album.

I hope Diane is right, I hope the recession is going away.  Many people claim that this break in working has helped families reconnect and adults reevaluate what type of career they really want to have rather than what they were doing before a layoff.  I guess that would make some of the pain of the last few months worthwhile; knowing that there have been lessons learned and lives changed for the better.  I just am not ready to hear about it at 7 in the morning.  See you tomorrow, Diane.

No comments:

Post a Comment