Monday, April 20, 2009

Reminders

It's strange, really.  Life goes on, days pass, happiness happens.

And then it hits me.  Unexpectedly I see what most people wouldn't even notice.  A sign just off the freeway that I travel 156 times a week.  But today it's different.  I see the sign and a bolt of lightning flashes through my eyes forcing each shut for a split second.  I let out an audible sigh reacting to the feeling of being briefly punched in the stomach.  The sign simply read:  "Shopping Center Open in August 2009"...which seems harmless.  But seeing it today reminds me that I saw that sign during my 13- weeks-of-pregnancy-bliss, and used it as a benchmark.  Yes, I had something to look forward to just like the consumers of my city. By August 2009, I would be a mother finally. Finally.  

After doctors, tests, needles, surgeries, more doctors and even diagnoses, pregnancy was finally happening.  Then the worst happened and we/I lost the baby.  Gone.  Now I see the sign and remember how happy I was thinking of that time in the not-so-distant future.  Not this time. Not the summer of 2009.   

No comments:

Post a Comment